Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2014 19:31:21 -0400
From:      Brendan Desmond <brendes@imap.cc>
To:        dbc <mail@dcollins.info>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to encourage a wireless driver to exist?

On 2014-08-17, dbc wrote:
>Hello,
>

>I have a new laptop which I'm well sick of having to run linux on. Is there
>a way to encourage someone to write a driver for intel 7260 wifi card?
>
>I am a C programmer, and I would be willing to volunteer time, but I don't
>know how useful I will be with neither driver writing nor wifi protocol nor
>FreeBSD development process experience. Still, if anyone would point me in
>the right direction I would happily give it a shot. Where can this stuff be
>learnt? I also see that linux drivers exist, but I'm not sure about legal
>problems when copying from those.
>
>Or, while I probably couldn't afford to fund it entirely myself, is there a
>way I could chip into a pot to help fund someone with more experience to at
>least make a start on it?
>

>Sincerely,
>
>Daniel Collins

I am also an Intel 7260 owner who would like to do whatever I can to
help the development of support for said device plus the i915 and
any other Intel Haswell stuff. My main motivating factor is having
bought a Lenovo Thinkpad T440 before realizing I want to make the full
switch to FreeBSD from Linux. I'm not much of a
programmer, but would love to know what I can do to as far as testing, bug
reports, etc. so I can chip in with driver development. I have a copy of
the handbook and am subscribed to the freebsd-drivers list, but any
additional tips for someone like me would me most welcome.

-Brendan Desmond