Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 17:59:49 +0200
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP install problem

Hi!

Although I do not claim to be an expert, I will try to answer your
questions...

> QUESTIONS:
> 1a) what is the correct string to have in "VERSION" in (Setup) options?

It is "4.0-20000430-STABLE" in your case. Be sure to set it in the options
menu.

> 1b) which FTP servers should work (and use default account of FTP?)?

All listed servers work (and have default account) but not all of them have
the snapshots available. Try

http://www.itworks.com.au/~gavin/FBSDsites.php3

for a somewhat up-to-date listing of what is available where.

For example ftp4.tw.freebsd.org has it, although probably you can also find
it closer to you, eg at releng4.freebsd.org...

> 2) Is it correct to type "faster.bc.hsia.telus.net" as machine name?

It is OK if you type the name (the part till first dot) in the Hostname
field and all others to the domainname field. The installer will take care
of the rest.

> 3) For a MSDOS install, where in directory structure do "ports" and "X" go?
> (c:\freebsd\ports does not work)

Oooops I don't know that, sorry. But if you manage to do an install from FTP,
you will not need it, either.

Good luck!

Regards:
Szilveszter ADAM