Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 13:49:20 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Dirk Kleinhesselink <dkleinh@phy.ucsf.edu>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1-20000719-RC#2

> > Seems like it would be an easy thing to try to reproduce:  just put a
> > couple of disks on the system and install Tru64/NetBSD/Linux/OpenVMS on
> > one of them and then try to install FreeBSD on the other disk...
>
> You don't even have to do that. Just take a previous FreeBSD installation and
> move /sbin/init aside and create a zero length /sbin/init.

I'm still not sure I understand how that should have any effect.
You're doing an install here, right?  And the install is going to
newfs the root filesystem and repopulate it with distribution bits,
right?

If you're somehow electing to preserve the existing root partition
and/or not extract, at a minimum, bindist then this isn't an
installation at all, this is some sort of "you must know what you're
doing well enough not to shoot your feet off" quasi-upgrade operation.
Please clarify.  Thanks.

- Jordan