Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 2010 00:57:22 +0000
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        ASF Infra Private <infrastructure-private@apache.org>
Subject:   dell 2950 + mpt + stable/8 boot hangs

Hi All,

[please keep the infra-private list in the replies]

We've recently attached a external JBOD, Storform D53J, to a dell pe
2950 via PCI-e cards (using the mpt driver).

This works fine on stable/7@r197719 [1] despite being before some mfc's
of mptutil work from scottl.

When booting stable/8@204185 the boot hangs [2]

Whats more, is if we disconnect the array physically, we're able to boot
[3] the stable/8 kernel and even use the array from a chroot'ed install
of the stable/8 userland [sudo camcontrol rescan all, and some zpool stuff]

We've already seen this suggestion on google
/boot/loader.conf:
hw.pci.mcfg=0

which didn't help.

Additionally, the following pr might be relevant but we haven't tried it
yet.

http://people.freebsd.org/~linimon/studies/prs/prs_for_tag_regression.html

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/142263
   disabling acpi

Thoughts ?

[1] - http://people.apache.org/~pgollucci/ERIS/dmesg.boot.7
[2] - http://people.apache.org/~pgollucci/ERIS/eris.bmp
[3] - http://people.apache.org/~pgollucci/ERIS/dmesg.boot.8

VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.