Date:      Mon,  3 Aug 1998 18:05:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
To:        <khouphou@csc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Masquerading

khouphou@csc.com writes:
 > Thanks all for your help. I got X o work. But I'having a hard time
 > configuring the .xinitrc file. the line that reads:
 >
 > xrdb -load .Xdefaults
 >
 > gives me 2 error messages when I run startx:
 >
 > xrdb: no such file or directory
 > xrdb: can't open file .Xdefaults

May i suggest to have a closer look at "man startx"

Basicly in that manpage you will read the following text:

       To  determine  the client to run, startx first looks for a
       file called .xinitrc in the  user's  home  directory.   If

Now lets have a look at the .xinitrc file in my homedirectory:

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
fi

Now you clearly see that the X-resourcefile that is merged into
the X-Server resources for a particular user should be named
.Xresources
This is valid when using "startx" for starting X. If xdm is used,
your approach would have been correct.
You could have solved this problem easily on your own, by just
typing "man startx".
Do it.

Malte.