Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 17:00:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quotas over NFS

Hi...

	Okay, trying to come up with a definitive answer here, or some sort
of semblance of it...What happens with Quotas over NFS-mounts :)

	Test NFS server v2.1-STABLE machine
	Test NFS client v2.2-CURRENT machine

	With quotas turned on for my personal account, set at a value lower
then what I currently have:

> cp /etc/ttys .

/usr/home: write failed, user disk limit reached
cp: ./ttys: Disc quota exceeded

	The system does as it should, rejects any further writes to the
drive.

	On the client machine:

freebsd> cp /etc/ttys .
freebsd> ls -l ttys
-rw-r--r--  1 scrappy  wheel  0 Dec 30 16:48 ttys

	It truncates the file, but gives no warnings/error messages at
all.  This, I think, could be construed as being worse overall then leaving
Quotas turned off altogether, since a user would never know his quota is
exceeded.

	So...the answer to the question.  Yes, quotas will work if someone
tries to exceed their quota from an nfs mount'd drive...but, IMHO, since their
are no warnings or reasons giving to the user that would be trying to write
that file, at this stage, Quotas over NFS are not usuable.

	Is anyone working on fixing this?  This is *duck* one point in favor
of BSDi over FreeBSD right now...BSDi does give an error message if you
attempt to exceed your quota from an NFS mounted machine (the error message
eludes me at this time).  Does anyone know if NetBSD has support for this?

	Note: I only bring up BSDi because I believe BSDi/FreeBSD and NetBSD
tends to be branches from the same try...aren't they?  And one of the threads
that was brought up a short while ago tended to revolve around what needs to
be done to FreeBSD in order to make it more palatable to ISPs...this is a
major shortcoming towards that end, I think.

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc