Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2000 02:19:43 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Motomichi Matsuzaki <mzaki@e-mail.ne.jp>
Cc:        thomas@home.unpar.ac.id, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2 pci , 1 isa, same type NIC makes freebsd seems to be confused

Motomichi Matsuzaki wrote:

> These separated devclass leads to confusable situation.
> Drivers which have same name (such like 'ed')
> should share one devclass, or multiple 'ed0' appear on the host.
>
> Sadly, this type of mistakes are widely spreaded on the tree.

That's probably because it's widely spread on the tree. There ought to
be a note on this on Julian's example driver (though I'm glad to see it
already _does_ the right thing), and possibly elsewhere. As well as an
effort to fix it in the three. There, I added a note on devclass(9).
Someone fix the tree. :-)

The fix is trivial, and not even particularly tiring. This is the
proverbial junior kernel hacker task, though one doesn't even need to be
a junior kernel hacker to do it. :-) The downside is that it's not
particularly interesting to do either, and there is nothing to be
learned from the experience.

/me sighs

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)

dcs@newsguy.com
dcs@freebsd.org
capo@united.bsdconspiracy.net

	"All right, Lieutenant, let's see what you do know. Whatever it is,
it's not enough, but at least you haven't done anything stupid yet."
	"I've hardly had time, sir."
	"There's a naive statement."