Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:14:51 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        <juha@saarinen.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Not such good networking performance with FreeBSD

At 09:57 PM 12/14/99 , Juha Saarinen wrote:
>Hi Mike,
>
>> Are you sure its not a duplex issue with your network card ?
>
>Don't think so -- upon boot-up, the card (a DEC 21140 10/100 clone) is being
>put into 100Mbps full duplex. At least that's what the system tells me.
>Ifconfig -a seems to imply it's only running in 100BaseTX mode:
>
>de0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>        inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>        ether 00:00:e8:4a:bf:96
>        media: autoselect (100baseTX) status: active
>        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
>10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP

See if there are any errors in the switch on the port that FreeBSD is
attached to.  I seem to recall reading some issues about this particular
card.  You might try explicitly forcing the duplex to either half or full
and seeing how that effects performance. The main thing is for the card and
switch to agree on the settings. Dont trust auto-neg, as most of the times
I have found it not to work properly. You should be able to tell by just
doing some transfers from one machine to another on your LAN.

>Could this one have anything to do with IP routing:
>
>	net.inet.ip.fastforwarding: 0

Yes. If the box is going to act as a router.

>Where are all these options described? The man page isn't much use.

You should not have to change any of those values. The default should give
you performance adequate to saturate a 10BaseT LAN given minimal sufficient
hardware.

	---Mike