Date:      Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:32:00 +0300
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

On 06.06.12 05:35, Erich wrote:
> Warning: Be very careful to specify any tag= fields correctly. Some tags are valid only for certain collections of files. If you specify an incorrect or misspelled tag, CVSup will delete files which you probably do not want deleted. In particular, use only tag=. for the ports-* collections.'
>
> I think that this states very clearly that there are no tags.
>
> So, after we learned that every thing I am asking is there anyway in an official and supported way, only the documentation has to be changed.

It does not state, that there are not tags. It states, that you should
be using tag=.
Unless, you know exactly what are you doing and unless you know what an
particular tag that exists in the ports tree means.

In your language: normal users of the ports tree should use tag=. as
anything else is not official and not supported.
Normal users can specify date=<somedate> to get the version of the ports
tree as it was on that date (and time, up to a second).

The documentation is correct.

Daniel