Date:      Mon, 21 May 2007 07:51:55 +0200
From:      "Federico Lorenzi" <florenzi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE equivalent?

On 5/21/07, Nikola Lecic <nlecic@eunet.yu> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007 10:54:48 +0800
> "Brian Walker" <bfwalker@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I regularly find my computer is bumped off the net - on the Windows
> > OS I see a regular notification of re-connection. On My linux box I
> > need to 'sudo pppoeconf' to reconnect. The FreeBSD handbook deals
> > rather scantily with PPPoE, and I can find nothing much on googling.
> > Any ideas how best to a) prevent being kicked off and b)
> > reconnecting. At the moment I simply do 'sudo ppp -ddial internet' to
> > be reassigned and all works well ... for a while. The best response
> > is to leave FreeBSD and  connect on re-entry into the OS. There has
> > to be a better way.

I'm not sure there is, I've had a similar problem like this before,
and I got around
it by writing a simple script that would try and ping a local site 4
times, and if no
and tell ppp
to reconnect. It worked quite well when put into cron to run at 1
minute intervals.
You could also try Roaring penguin PPPoE and see if you have any success with
that.

Cheers
Federico