Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2014 18:27:35 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: minor sendmail issue ....

On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 11:11:24 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> .... I am getting sendmail notifications in my messages file as such:
>

> Sep  9 03:01:00 kabini1 sendmail[44668]: My unqualified host name
> (jaguar) unknown; sleeping for retry
> Sep  9 03:02:00 kabini1 sendmail[44668]: unable to qualify my own domain
> name (jaguar) -- using short name
>
> [...]
>
> This is happening (I think) because I am on a LAN, w/ no domain name, no
> DNS servers running, just local machine names.

That shouldn't be a problem. As a domain name, you could
chose "local", "lan" or "localdomain". It's important that
you have the hostname= setting in /etc/rc.conf and a matching
entry in /etc/hosts that associates a valid IP (even if that
is just 127.0.0.1). An example:

	127.0.0.1	localhost
	127.0.0.1	jaguar.local jaguar
	127.0.0.1	jaguar.local.

You can even add more IPs that identify "jaguar", depending
on if your LAN has fixed addresses or the machine in question
obtains one via DHCP (different one each time).

At first installation or after major changes, review the
sendmail configuration and "make all install" in /etc/mail.
See /etc/mail/Makefile for details about the targets you
would need to specify. The file names (!) will reflect
the naming decision you made.

> These are kinda swamping other stuff in the messages
> file, is there a way to suppress these notifications from sendmail ? TIA

The notifications are there for a reason, so it would be
better to deal with the reason instead of with the error
message reporting the problem. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany