Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:02:53 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        kilgore@speakeasy.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: SSH is making me very sad

> Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:31:56 -0800
> From: Burke Martin <kilgore@speakeasy.org>
> Subject: Fwd: SSH is making me very sad
>
> Hi all, again,
>
> Ive been trying to get this straight and nothing ive tried works so far.

ssh should work right out of the box with 4.2-RELEASE.  If it doesn't,
it suggests that something went wrong with your install.

> Here is what i get when i do -v
[...snip...]
> debug: Received encrypted confirmation.
> debug: Trying Kerberos V5 authentication.

Did you install Kerberos 5?  You probably don't want to do
that unless you actually need Kerberos.  It's just something
else to confuse you.

> Another problem that might be related is that email doesnt work. I get a
> "can not check MX records for recipients address"

I think this is probably the source of your problem.  It sounds
like your DNS service isn't working correctly.  What happens,
for instance, if you enter "nslookup www.freebsd.org" ?  Or
what is the "answer" section in the response to "dig freebsd.org MX"?

If DNS is your problem, I think you will get an error message
after about two minutes of waiting.  But I could be wrong.

[...snip....]

> >Can someone give me some tips on where to start so that I can get SSH
> >working on FreeBSD-4.2... I jsut set this machine up and im kind of
> >confused because there is so much documentation out there relating to
> >problems with ssh. The problem im having is when i go to log in with ssh
> >after the password is entered it jsut hangs. I have added some lines into
> >my pam.conf file but that hasnt made a difference. Here is what i put in
> >the pam.conf
> >
> >sshd    auth    sufficient      pam_skey.so
> >sshd    auth    required                pam_unix.so     try_first_pass
> >sshd    session required                pam_permit.so

In 4.2-RELEASE sshd relies on the "other" entries in pam.conf.
Somewhere between -RELEASE and now this stuff became necessary,
but I think that in your case it should't have mattered, they
won't do any harm if they are there.

> >This isnt exact because i didnt copy and paste but this is contained in
> >the file. Any help would be thoroughly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Burke

Once you get the basic SSH service working, I have a tutorial on
how to use it at http://www.afn.org/~ambient/sshfreebsd.html or
http://www.afn.org/~ambient/sshfreebsd.rtf  (the RTF version has
better formatting).  It isn't ready for general distribution, but
I am asking for folks to review it and make suggestions for
improvement.  Once I get it cleaned up a little more I will submit
it for inclusion in the FreeBSD Handbook.

My primary interest is getting feedback on the factual accuracy
rather than grammatical concerns (at this point).  If anything is
confusing let me know about that, too.

- Bob