Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 1995 19:35:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        mark@grondar.za, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, CVS-commiters@freefall.freebsd.org, cvs-games@freefall.freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/games/x11/xneko xneko.c

> On Sat, 23 Sep 1995, Mark Murray wrote:
> > >  * >   Modified:    games/x11/xneko  xneko.c
> > >
> > >  * Just out of interest: What are X programs doing in the FreeBSD distributio
> > n?
> > >  * should they not be in ports?
> > >
> > > Apparently (according to the cvs logs), they came with the 4.4-Lite
> > > tape.  But I agree with you, it doesn't make much sense to have these
> > > in the main source tree when we don't have X in there! ;)
> > >
> > > And if you just want a cute demo...well, xneko maybe, but xroach is
> > > nothing short of "disgusting". :<
> >
> > I _love_ xroach! I have got some very satisfying (female) screams from
> > running it! :-> :-> :->
>
> Likewise..  IMHO, *all* of the games should go to "ports". :-)

And that is YO, CSRG saw it fit to put the games in BSD, this issue
seems to come up about 4 months after new folks come on board.  The games
have been part of BSD for a very long time.  Removing them moves the
base away from what people expect when you say BSD derived.

> > > I propose to move them to ports.
> >
> > Seconded.

I am opposed to removing any functionality provided in BSD 4.4 Lite or Lite
2.

> The only problem is that there's no real mechanism for actually providing
> a complete "kit", including packaging, source and the works.  The only
> way we can make a port out of it, is to make a tar.gz of the source as it
> currently stands and then put it on freefall's ftp area.

If you don't like the games there has already been complete mechanisms
put in place so you don't have to have them.  src tree builds without
them, you can install the binary releases without them.  Leave it alone
please.