Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:12:44 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Rasmus Skaarup <rasmus@gal.dk>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Rasmus Skaarup <rasmus@gal.dk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disc io - sync and async

[Mounting devices]

> > - Why is sync mode more secure? (I was told that a recovery would be less
> > painful if drives are mounted in sync mode - in case of a breakdown.)
>
> It's not 'sync' it's 'non-async', a 'sync' mount means that no caching
> is done, a 'non-async' mount means that meta-data operations are done
> 'sync'.
>
> Please see: http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/papers/CSE-TR-254-95/

This presumably increases perfomance, but why isn't such a patch default
for FreeBSD?

(Or is this already implemented?)

> > - Why does a simple 'mount' command tell me that both sync and async reads
> > and writes are being performed on me FreeBSD box?
>
> Because it looks cool? :)

If async operations are performed anyhow, why don't we just mount the
drives async from the beginning. If FreeBSD chooses to mount drives in
sync or 'non-async' mode as you say, to increase integrity, and async
operations are performed anyway this doesn't help one bit. You still have
problems with integrity, and the drives will just be slower..

Surely we should avoid any kind of breach in integrity, but I mean, a
server breakdown is what it is, and having 200 inodes instead of 300
inodes corrupted doesn't sound like a worthy result of a much slower hard
drive when the server is up. And even if FreeBSD only performed sync
operations, there would still be some parts of the filesystem that are
corrupted?

Maybe I've got it all on backwards, but I've never given much thought to
ufs - it's allways worked for me :-)

Best regards
Rasmus