Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 1995 13:05:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: POSIX compliance and time updates

> >should be:
>
> >		error = VOP_UPDATE(vp, &atimeval, &mtimeval, 0);
>
> I've been running with this change for years.  It is just an
> optimization and is only wrong if the system crashes.  My comment about
> it says that it is stupid to update times synchronously but not update
> ids and permissions synchronously.

I actually have someone here in the wings who is willing to get into a
flame war on POSIX "should/shall/may" arguing that POSIX does not
require an immediate update here by virtue of the exact wording.

The worst thing that can happen is you have to rebuild something
unnecessarily in a make because the date didn't roll forward.

> >This should significantly increase performance on the bogus create/delete
> >benchmark.
>
> The performance is still low.  100 creat/unlink's take
>
> 	5.01 real    0.01 user    0.14 sys
>
> here.  They should take about 0.15 real (33 times faster).

"should"?  You mean "do on Linux", not "should", right?  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.