Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 01:21:25 -0400
From:      "Chad Leigh, Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "chad@shire.net" <chad@shire.net>
Subject:   Re: CCD question

Doing some more research, it appears that the in-memory disk label and the
on disk label are not in synch.  I had a third disk that was never part of
the ccd, just a regular ufs disk, on the controller, that was not mountable
either.  Using disklabel to examine it had the same symptoms as the 2 ccd
disks in question.  using % disklabel da2 would not work but % disklabel
/dev/da2 would.  I did an fsck on this non ccd disk and now it mounts just
fine.  But of course I cannot fsck the ccd component disks.

Here is an example of the in memory and on disk abels being different
(notice the c partition in the -r raw on disk label):

megumi# disklabel /dev/da0
# /dev/da0:
type: SCSI
disk: QUANTUM
label: XP39100W
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 1106
sectors/unit: 17781520
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 17781520        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
1106*)
megumi# disklabel -r /dev/da0
# /dev/da0:
type: SCSI
disk: QUANTUM
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 1106
sectors/unit: 17781520
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 17781520        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.    0 -
1106*)
Warning, partition c is not marked as unused!
Warning, An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard system
utilities
megumi#

Does this matter?

I need to get this "ccd" disk back and running asap.

Thanks
Chad

--On Sunday, September 09, 2001 11:29 PM -0400 "Chad Leigh, Shire.Net LLC"