Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 12:32:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Magnus B{ckstr|m <b@etek.chalmers.se>
To:        Shaun Jurrens <shaun@shamz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Shaun Jurrens wrote:
> To: freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: dillon@'s commit bit: I object
>
> Hi guys,

  <78 lines of opinionated spam deleted>

[Conjecture]
[Conjecture] A) Matt Dillon is one very talented developer.  He has a brain
[Conjecture]    and can wring good design and code out of it.
[Conjecture]
[Conjecture] B) FreeBSD, as any voluntary collaborative project, needs its
[Conjecture]    developers to communicate well.  Put another way the
[Conjecture]    developers all need to support a common inter-developer
[Conjecture]    interface that works.
[Conjecture]
[Conjecture] C) Matt Dillon has excellent communication skills and is enough
[Conjecture]    of a diplomat to work his way around disagreements in order
[Conjecture]    to get things done.  The implementation of the FreeBSD
[Conjecture]    inter-developer interface in his mind is very solid.
[Conjecture]
[Conjecture] D) Matt Dillon is my hero, and for purely emotional reasons
[Conjecture]    would hate to see him gone from the FreeBSD project.
[Conjecture]

How does this stand?

A) There is ample evidence supporting this.
B) There is ample evidence supporting this.
C) Statements of several developers working closely with him contradict
   this.
D) I don't know the man.  Do you?

> PS: if I've offended anyone (yeah, I singled a few out), prove me wrong,
> but spare me your insultedness. It's become a pathetic hobby in -core.

The pathetic hobby of emotional political lobbyism doesn't offend me,
its existence just pisses me off.
It provokes similar activity in people whose energy would be better
spent elsewhere, and it harms innocent bystanders.

Let -core have its way.  If the decision was bad the electing community
will see that -core is fixed.  The correct way to complain is to become
part of that electing community.  Contribute.  Impress.  Get a commit bit.
Vote.  If you don't have the time or energy or civilty to be embraced by
the community, tough.  Open-source projects are contributorocracies,
elitocracies, oligarchies, technocracies -- anything but pure democracies.
... Fortunately.

returning to better ways of spending energy,
Magnus