Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 95 15:30:02 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        paul@isl.cf.ac.uk, julian@ref.tfs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

> > Hmm, if this was acceptable we could gate all the "general" mailing lists
> > to the newsgroups in this way. They'd look like the linux newsgroups then :-)
>
> That's a thing I don't want to see. Many Linux friends I know have
> stopped reading the *linux newsgroups because of the S/N ratio.

I have a one-word argument against bidirectional gating:

	SPAM

I realize that there is nothing that prevent C&S or whoever from
posting off-topic grunge to mailing lists as well as news groups,
but the job should not be done for them.

There is enough danger of junk email just publishing the addresses.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.