Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:28:14 +0100
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP ScanJet 5p (fwd)

> Since someone asked... (and I have no idea what is the proper group for
> this!). Usual disclaimer on why i haven't made a port of this...
>
> > Hi Luigi,
> > 	 I have just bought myself a Scanjet 5p and was looking
> > through the FreeBSD mail archives. Did you have any luck with finding
> > modifications for hpscan or have you tried some other software.
>
> i ended up with a locally hacked version of hpscanpbm. It originally
> produced pbm only, i fixed the commands issued to the scanner so that
> the scanjet5p now is happy, and also added some code to produce bits
> which can be fed directly to my laserjet printer so that i have a fast
> copy machine...
>
> For user interface, i used tkscan when i am really desperate (or want
> to show up with somebody who cannot type on a keyboard...
>
> Both programs have linux origins, i forget the original url, but the
> code i use you can find at
>
> 	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/hpscanpbm.c
> 	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/tkscan (it's a Tk/tcl program)
>
> hope this helps. Feel free to cleanup/redistribute them as you like.
> i think the original sources are gpl-ed.

Did you give SANE a try, I tried it once with a scanjet 4p (I think)
It seemed to work just fine, although I can't be sure since the
scanner was broken, however it exhibited the same errors as unders
windows. (I know this is lousy reasoning, but I managed to scan
a few pages, before it would lock up)

http://www.mostang.com/sane/

Regards,
Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl