Date:      Wed, 21 Sep 2016 17:30:13 +0000
From:      Shawn Bakhtiar <shashaness@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem with nsswitch.conf

Oh Jesus!!! Thank you.. that worked.. obviously...

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 10:28 AM, Eric van Gyzen <vangyzen@FreeBSD.org> wrote=
:
>=20
> On 09/21/2016 12:21, Shawn Bakhtiar wrote:
>> Good morning All,
>>=20
>> I'm trying to configure my server as an LDAP client. I installed the nsl=
cd service and it's working great.
>>=20
>> My problem is when I issue the command getent passwd it only returns the=
 LDAP user not the local users.=20
>>=20
>> #
>> # nsswitch.conf(5) - name service switch configuration file
>> # $FreeBSD: releng/10.2/etc/nsswitch.conf 224765 2011-08-10 20:52:02Z do=
ugb $
>> #
>> group: file ldap
>> group_compat: nis ldap
>> hosts: files dns
>> networks: files
>> passwd: file ldap
>> passwd_compat: nis ldap
>> shells: files=20
>> services: files=20
>> services_compat: nis
>> protocols: files=20
>> rpc: files
>>=20
>>=20
>> When I change the above group and passwd setting back to compat (which w=
as the default configuration) I get the local users but none of the ldap us=
ers show up. In fact nslcd is not even called (i've checked by running it i=
n debug mode). So how do I configure nsswitch to use both the local /etc/pa=
sswd file and the ldap. I need this because without it services will not st=
art. IE nslcd complains that nslcd is not a valid user when using the above=
 configuration.