Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 09:18:09 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net (Alex)
Cc:        solik@atom.ru, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun binaries

In a previous message, Alex said:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Sergey Solyanik wrote:
>
> > I'm in curiuos - can I run Sun/i386 (if they exist in nature - I've met
> > only with sparc) ?
>
> Yes Virginia, there is a Solaris/x86.  Avoid it like the plague ;-)

I ran Solaris x86 from 2.3 up to 2.5Beta. It was ok. Had some weird
stuff. But I dropped it an installed FreeBSD 2.1. It was about 2 times
faster (especially X) on a 486DX2/50 with 32 meg. I've never looked
back. (In fact at work, we're about to start using FreeBSD on Pentiums
instead of Sparc 5s).

Anyway, this question looks like the old 386i machine from Sun that
ran SunOS 4.0.1, which, of course is BSD 4.2 based. That would be
interesting, but I'm going to say that its doubtful that they'd run.

Anyway, I can't imagine there is much left out there for that machine.

Paul.

--
The secret to successful living is not finding an easy existence
but being adequate for what life brings.   -- Dr. Ernest A. Fitzgerald