Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:04:28 -0400
From:      Jung-uk Kim <jkim@niksun.com>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sym53c416 driver

On Thursday 17 April 2003 12:34 pm, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently evaluating if I am going to write a driver for a
> sym53c416 card as I could not find one. This is an older ISA PNP
> SCSI card p.ex. shipped with HP Scanners.
>
> Back in November I had at look at the linux driver for this card and
> had already started to do some updating but I then almost entirly
> dropped any linux here and never finished. At that time LSI Logic
> Technical Support told me that the chip is obsolete and there are no
> manuals available :(
>
> If I would start hacking the driver where could I start to get an
> overview of FreeBSD SCSI implementation (and API) ? ahc sources ?
> Is there any isa pnp scsi card driver ?

There was a driver (nca) but it was removed from FreeBSD 3.0 because nobody
wanted to CAMify it. If you *really* want to resurrect it, take a look at:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/isa/Attic/ncr5380.c
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/isa/ic/Attic/ncr53400.h
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/isa/ic/Attic/ncr5380.h

NetBSD still suports it.

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/isa/nca_isa.c
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ic/ncr5380reg.h
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ic/ncr5380var.h
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ic/ncr53c400reg.h

53c500 was CAMified but I don't know how close they are.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/ncv/
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/cam/scsi/scsi_low.c
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/cam/scsi/scsi_low.h

CAM layer source is here:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/cam/

CAM API is here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/scsi.html

I hope it is helpful to you. (BTW, this is not the right place to post. Use
freebsd-hackers mailing list instead.)

JK