Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:16:24 +0300
From:      Dominik Zalewski <dzalewski@open-craft.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bind round robin

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 11:50, Dominic Marks wrote:
> Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 02:00:23PM +0800, pinoyskull wrote:
> >> One of my client's domain has multiple IPs for redundancy, i configured
> >> his www as such
> >>
> >> www        IN A   10.10.10.10
> >> www        IN A   192.168.0.10
> >>
> >> Is there a way to prioritize 10.10.10.10 over 192.168.0.10? How do i
> >> configure it?
> >
> > DNS round robin is not about redundancy, the only thing you could have
> > that way is a kind of load balancing (not the most sophisticated way,
> > though). Whenever one of the servers fails, around half of the requests
> > still goes there and then times out/gets conn refused or whatever the
> > problem is. Prioritizing is not easily possible. Probably it helps if
> > you add one of the IPs more often to the set, but I never tried that and
> > did not read the docs on this topic, so before breaking your zone first
> > read the specs, if this works!
> >
> > For serious redundancy with failover and/or load balancing with a good
> > leveling you should consider getting a load balancer (be it hardware or
> > software), better two so you don't have the single point of failure
> > there :-)
>
> A good software load balancer which supports weighting is pen. In ports.
>
> http://siag.nu/pen
>
> /usr/ports/net/pen
>
> Dominic
>
> > - Oliver

=46rom pen homepage:

"This is pen, a load balancer for "simple" tcp based protocols such as http=
 or=20
smtp."

As I know DNS uses both tcp and udp protocols.

=46or failover you can try OpenBSD Packet Filter with CARP protocol. PF can=
 do=20
load-balacing using different algorithms also. CARP is ported to FreeBSD.=20
More info on: http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/carp.html

Enjoy

=2D-=20
Dominik Zalewski | System Administrator