Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:18:43 -0700
From:      Doug Silver <dsilver@urchin.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem logging in after upgrade to 4.8-Stable

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 11:26 am, Doug Silver wrote:
> I upgraded two 4.7 machines yesterday to 4.8-stable and now normal users
> can't login (both at the console and ssh).  Root logs in okay.  I created a
> new user and that works.  However, the first server I upgraded to 4.8
> hasn't had the same problems.  I changed my personal password as root on
> one of the problem servers and then I was able to login.  Did something
> change in the password algorithm to cause this to happen or is it something
> else?
>
> Any suggestions??
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Doug

Here's some more information that I realize is probably relevant.  I've
attempted to strip out the openssl/openssh out of the base system, including
libcrypto and libssl so I can track it through the ports area.  It would be
understandable if all accounts were locked out, but why would root and new
users not be affected by whatever is broken?

-doug