Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 00:45:18 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        freeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Snort and unixODBC

Hey all- I've got a problem getting a Snort system up and running. I
want to have Snort on my IDS log via the database output plugin to
MSSQL server 2000. I've set up unixODBC, FreeTDS and Snort with the
appropriate flags (at least I think I have).

isql lets me connect to my Snort database on the SQL server just fine
and execute queries. The problem occurs when I start Snort- first it
attempts to locate the sensor ID by executing a query for it, which
returns a rowcount of 0. Then it runs an INSERT, which succeeds- the
sql.log shows this. Next it tries to run the SELECT again looking for
the sensor ID, but fails. /tmp/sql.log indicates a SQL_ERROR occured
at SQLExecute.c line 328, but that's just the line that saves the
logging data. What's really irritating is that I can execute the
exact same query via isql with no problems.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? Google turned up a few hits on
this issue, but only one person with a similar configuration and his
question was never answered. I've been browsing the sources for a few
hours now and while I'm much more familiar with the inner workings of
FreeTDS and unixODBC, I'm no closer to an answer.

Thanks,

Corey Snow