Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 13:22:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Hans Fiedler <hans@hfconsulting.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   WangTek 3200 tape drive

I've sort of aquired a WangTek 3200SE standalone SCSI tape drive from a system
that's going away.  I put it on an Adeptec AHA2940, but it doesn't seem to
work, but does on the old box (HP9000/710).  The errors I'm getting on the
console are;

st0(ahc1:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:113000 asc:c,0 Write error sks:80,1
st0(ahc1:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:1 asc:c,0 Write error

and I just get an an Input/output error on the tar process

tar: can't write to /dev/rst0 : Input/output error

I've tried several tapes, and they are write enabled,  I don't have any
documentation on the drive other then a sheet detailing the dip settings,
which look reasonable to me, and are the same as when it worked on the HP
box.  The scsi controller sees and ids the drive correctly, but maybe there
is some setting I need to change from the defaults.

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten one of these working and if so were there
any special settings on the drive or the SCSI adaptor?

Thanks for any help.