Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:28:21 -0400
From:      Matt Van Mater <matt.vanmater@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with dummynet delay in VMWare guest

The subject says it all...

I have built several freebsd9.0-release (+updates) virtual machines with
open-vm-tools installed.  Each VM has 2 vNICs (on separate vswitches) and
has static IPs on those vNICs and static routes forming a virtual hub and
spoke topology, with the edge node NATing using natd (to allow for internet
access, testing, etc).  The intent is to use dummynet to emulate a
production network that has multi-hop terrestrial and satellite links with
distinct bandwidth, delay and loss.

However during testing I have noticed the delay is significantly off from
what I have configured in ipfw.  Has anyone else encountered this problem
running dummynet inside a VMWare ESXi 4.1.0 (build260247) hypervisor?  I
have a hunch is is due to bad timing due to the use of VMware and I have
tried changing the /boot/loader.conf kern.hz setting to 1000, and 100 but
it seems to have no effect.

For example:
If I do not have any dummnet configuration, a ping from my edge vm to my
external gateway is about .8 ms  (perfectly acceptable)
If I have a dummynet config with 7ms delay, the same ping shows a latency
of .8ms (seemingly ignoring the dummynet config, not good)
If I have a dummynet config with 10ms delay, i will sometimes get ~11ms
latency (good, expected) and if i re-apply the config i get about 21ms
latency (about twice what i expect)
if i have a dummynet config with 30 ms delay, i consistently get 55ms
latency.
etc..

Simply put, I am seeing more latency than i expect.  It is often twice what
i configured, but not always in a nice predictable way.  I could live with
a very predictable offset (i.e.a 2x increase over my dummynet delay
configuration) but it doesn't seem predictable.

Any words of wisdom to help troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Matt