Date:      Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:25:31 +0100
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        Skip Ford <skip@menantico.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0R && ADSL

El día Saturday, January 10, 2009 a las 05:54:56AM -0500, Skip Ford escribió:

> Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > What kind of software I could use in FreeBSD? There is some port
> > net/rp-pppoe but the man pages speaks about incoming connections?
> > What else?
>
> Are you having problems using ppp(8)?  PPPoE has been just another
> dialup connection for years.  Example configurations are available in
> /usr/share/examples/ppp.
>
> If you really want a port, net/mpd is the way to go.  ppp(8) is userland
> while mpd is kernel.  I wish it was in base.

Thanks for all the hints. The problem was that for many years I have
only used 'normal' pppd connections (over modems, ISDN or UMTS), but
never PPPoE. So I went to the ports and did search 'name=pppoe' and
ended up in net/rp-pppoe and was confused. It seems that just ppp(8) is
what I have to use. Thx again.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
Manager Technical Support - OCLC GmbH

SPAMer of the year: Subject: Alle Software ist Deutsche Sprachen