Date:      Wed, 08 Dec 2010 14:21:23 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <mandree@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        sergei@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   NOPORTDOCS leftovers in news/newsstar (was: cvs commit: ports/news/newsstar Makefile)

Am 08.12.2010 13:21, schrieb QAT@FreeBSD.org:
> The Restless Daemon identified a mtree error while trying to build:
>  newsstar-1.5.4 maintained by ports@FreeBSD.org
>  Makefile ident: $FreeBSD: ports/news/newsstar/Makefile,v 1.21 2010/12/07 13:04:38 mandree Exp $
>
> Excerpt from http://QAT.TecNik93.com/logs/8-STABLE-NPD/newsstar-1.5.4.log :

> Deleting newsstar-1.5.4
>
> === Checking filesystem state
> list of extra files and directories in / (not present before this port was installed but present after it was deinstalled)
> 49506471        4 drwxr-xr-x    2 root             wheel                 512 Dec  8 12:21 usr/local/share/doc/newsstar
> 49506472       16 -rw-r--r--    1 root             wheel                6926 Dec  8 12:21 usr/local/share/doc/newsstar/index.html

> 49506495        8 -rw-r--r--    1 root             wheel                2158 Dec  8 12:21 usr/local/share/doc/newsstar/NEWS
> build of /usr/ports/news/newsstar ended at Wed Dec  8 12:21:04 UTC 2010

Sorry for the mess -- I wonder why my "sudo env NOPORTDOCS=1 port test" missed
to find that.  My Tinderbox builds run without NOPORTDOCS, so they wouldn't
complain.

Given this was a long-standing issue that should have affected previous newsstar
versions too (assuming that my HAS_CONFIGURE -> GNU_CONFIGURE change hasn't
broken things), "port test" may have been blind because there were previous
leftovers from my fixing 1.5.3 before upgrading to 1.5.4.  Before I start
longish testing: has anyone seen such things happen before (i. e. port test
missing "extra" files?)

Sergei, could "port test" explicitly probe if $DOCSDIR is present and/or
nonempty (something equivalent to checking if there is output from "find
$DOCSDIR \! -type d"), in addition to the mtree checks?

Any insights?

So,  I've fixed that in ports CVS, however should we deal with the leftovers?

I can fancy the following:

1.  assume few people grabbed the broken 1.5.4 AND installed NORPORTDOCS,
    i.e. don't care and let users deal with that on the next major FreeBSD
    upgrade when they're advised to purge $PREFIX and rebuild all ports.

2a. add a message displayed after NOPORTDOCS builds if a ${DOCSDIR} leftover
    from 1.5.4 is present so that the user can deal with it

2b. ditto, but delete ${DOCSDIR} instead of telling user to do so

3. add a message to ports/UPDATING (seems overkill)

Opinions?

Thanks.

Best regards
Matthias