Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:08:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        cracauer@cons.org, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, rivers@dignus.com
Subject:   Re: Interesting un-interruptible shell script on 3.0-RELEASE (possible sh bug?)

> In <19981222134641.A12019@cons.org>, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> > In <199812220243.VAA21066@lakes.dignus.com>, Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> > >
> > > Try the following on a 3.0-RELEASE system, under the bourne shell:
> > >
> > >    while true
> > >    do
> > >      sleep 2
> > >    done
>
> While you're at it, what does this show?
>
>   which sleep
>   sleep -?
>
> This most probable cause of this problem is a sleep binary that
> catches SIGINT, but doesn't kill itself with SIGINT afterwards. I
> could imagine that some braindead port installs such a thing. Maybe
> GNU shellutils or such?
>
> If it's /bin/sleep, these please send me the full kdump output (of
> SIGINTing the above script, not of `which` :-).
>
> Thanks
> 	Martin

 Well - it can't be sleep - as the same thing happens if you substitute
sync for the sleep command, i.e.

   while true
   do
    sync
   done

can't be interrupted either (although, it can be if you place it in
a file and execute the file.)

That kinda points to the shell (/bin/sh) as the culprit (or, perhaps
the tty driver somehow?)

	- Dave Rivers -