Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:00:52 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        Matt Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with fxp0 and wi0 devices

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 09:06:51PM -0500, Matt Emmerton wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE on a ThinkPad T23 and I can't use either
> of the built-in fxp0 or wi0 network adapters.
>
> Whenever I try and configure them with dhclient, dhclient just hangs.
> Whenever I try and configure them manually (static IP and route), packets
> never go anywhere.
> Whenever I access fxp0, I get "fxp0: device timeout" messages on my screen.

<snip>

looks like the irq problems i and a few other people experienced on their
T30s. the problem popped up some time between 5.0 and 5.1 and nobody ever
really fixed it, as it was machine specific (machine, not model or brand!),
and not really reproductable. but the workaround was to change irq mapping
in bios around a bit (from all automatically to some random combination of
settings). the values that worked for one person didn't for the next.

a few weeks after i upgraded to 5.2.1 i noticed by coincidence that the
problem disappeared again for me.

hope that helps, t.