Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 22:06:34 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jamie Jones <jamie@bishopston.net>
To:        jamie@bishopston.net, rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, brett@lariat.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, davids@webmaster.com, dkelly@hiwaay.net
Subject:   Re: Emulation: eg WordPerfect (was Re: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows))))

> So why worry about running linux binaries under FreeBSD, something
> which works an order of magnitude better than wine?  If one can get
> companies to support that officially, that certainly looks like a big
> gain to me.  Aiming to remove linux compatibility is not only
> unrealistic but extremely undesirable.

If the product is officially supported, then that is a big plus. If a
product *is* supported under emulation completely, wouldn't it be easier
for the company to release a FreeBSD version too, so that they don't end
up supporting the emulator in the process ? :-)

Anyway, although you aren't actually impying this, I'd just like to point
out that I'm *not* in favour of removing the Linux emulation - my point is
that I'd be more likely to part cash for a native version than the Linux
version.

Cheers,
       Jamie