Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:36:45 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ifconfig Nic card default mode?

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:44:27 -0500  "Joe & Fhe Barbish" wrote:
 +------------------
 | This is a ifconfig -a  display of my Nic card in the server
 | connected to the Lan.
 |
 | xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
 | 	inet 10.0.10.2 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 10.255.255.255
 | 	ether 00:01:02:2f:c3:00
 | 	media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
 | 	status: active
 |
 | FTP statistics show this Nic outputting at 73 KBps while the
 | Nic card in the only machine on the lan is outputting at 19MBps.
 | That means the server Nic card is receiving much much faster that it
 | is sending out. The conclusion is that no matter what the ifconfig
 | says about the server Nic card it is not sending at 100baset
 | full-duplex mode by default.
 |
 | How do I force it into 100baseT mode so FBSD knows about it?

That data confuses me.  If there are only two stations on the wire
where is the data going?  It does not make sense that one station
maxes transmit at 73KBytes/sec while the other transmits at
19MBytes/sec.  The data has to be going somewhere.   I'm misunderstanding
something in your description.

--
    Chris Fedde