Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 06:44:45 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        dot@dotat.at (Tony Finch)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

Tony Finch wrote:
> adrian@freebsd.org wrote:
> >
> >If you want to do it for data, then you would have to make mime-type
> >(or whatever you use to slap on a file type) part of the filesystem
> >entry.
>
> What about using the magic directory, as used by file(1) and Apache's
> mod_mime_magic?

I have a separate proposal for magic(5) as used by file(1). For each
file type, add a comment:

#"file.xpm"

immediately before the first magic value of each type. Since it is a
comment, file(1) will ignore it, whereas other applications can look
for it as a special case. It's a kludge, but it should work. I'm still
prototyping that.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137