Date:      20 Apr 2002 10:59:45 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What the devil is this POLA thing??

To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
From: Gary W. Swearingen <swear@blarg.net>
Date: 20 Apr 2002 17:54 UTC
Cc: D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>,  freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

> PS: You shouldn't depend on the fact that my mailer shows the subject
> line with the body of the message.  Email messages are expected to
> include in their body, well, a body, and not just a salutation.  Your
> message violates POLA, by not doing so.
>
> /me ducks and runs laughing ;)

You mean I can no longer write things like "The subject question is
answered in the Hacker's Dictionary."?  I have to repeat the question?
You mean I have to add to the body things like "Dear Giorgos" and
"Petulantly yours, Gary" -- how about a date in the upper right corner?
Might as well require that it use nice, easy-to-read outline fonts, too
-- and be formatted for easy printing.

Bad ideas, all.  People should assume that people's MUA shows them at
least the "Subject:", "To:", "From:", "Cc:", and "Date:" header lines
and that other MUAs are in need of fixing or replacement.

P.S. And while I'm ranting:  FreeBSD.org should be ashamed of themselves
for adding content to the bodies of our messages.  Especially such
low-value content.  Grrr.