Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:27:12 +0200
From:      Dave Boers <djb@ifa.au.dk>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        Dan Larsson <dl@tyfon.net>, FreeBSD Stable List <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recommended compilation optimizations

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 10:03:40AM -0400, mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:
> I've seen  '-fexpensive-optimizations' break havoc in  the squid binary,
> so I no  longer use it for anything, but  '-mcpu=i686 -march=i686' seems
> fine to me and tells the compiler  that your only target processor is of
> the  686  class.  If you  are  not  planning  to  debug the  thing,  add
> '-fomit-frame-pointer'.

You appear to be right. I just verified dat my 4.1-stable indeed builds
fine with -mcpu=686 and -march=i686 (on SMP dual Celeron).

> 	-mi (who gets  annoyed every  once in a  while when  he  sees
> 	     people discouraging optimization as dangerous instead of
> 	     fixing the compiler)

Don't get annoyed. Get even :-)

    Dave Boers.

--
.signapping: the unlawful act of capturing and carrying away a .sig
             against its will and holding it in false imprisonment.