Date:      Sun, 30 May 1999 13:33:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        bright@rush.net, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound still seems weird after newbus.

> > mss_detect error, busy still set (0xff)
> > pcm0 at port 0x220 irq 10 drq 3 flags 0x15 on isa0
> >
> > It used to work fine, but since "new-bus" x11amp for FreeBSD
> > from the opensound people skips a lot, running x11amp in linux
> > emulation also skips.
> >
> > mpg123 runs fine.
> >
> > any clues?  anyone else have this problem?  I'm 99.99% sure this
> > problem only started after newbus.  It's odd how mpg123 works fine
> > though...

mpg123 has an option (not sure if it is a default or not) to
make use of large buffers (2..5s worth of audio) for decoded data in
user space, whereas amp probably decodes 'live'.

large buffers help mask latency problems in fetching mpeg data from disk.

Second difference could be the size of DMA transfers requested by the
two apps.

	cheers
	luigi

  Luigi RIZZO, luigi@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)

		  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ngc99/
====  First International Workshop on Networked Group Communication  ====