Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:39:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org, nik@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?

[ cc's trimeed, no need to spam NetBSD with this :) ]

On 19-Jan-01 opentrax@email.com wrote:

> On 19 Jan, Nik Clayton wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 01:06:49PM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
>>>     Speaking as a relative newcomer to FreeBSD, I definitely feel
>>> that there is a certain amount of hazing that goes on.  If you want
>>> to contribute to the project, you're expected to write code.
>>
>> Manifestly not true.  Write new documentation or help improve existing
>> documentation.
>>
>> That's probably the fastest track to getting a commit bit as well.
>>
> I have to disagree Nik.

Actually JMJ, I originally got my commit bit to do documentation stuff by
converting the Committer's Guide from plain text to DocBook with appropriate
markup.  I then meandered my way over into the src/ tree where I now spend my
time engaged in SMP hacking.  I still like to do docs, I've written several
kernel manpages and FAQ entries.  The Documentation Project is certainly an
easy way to get involved with the project.