Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:37:02 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Wayne Swart <fixx@fixx.co.za>
Subject:   Re: disconnecting box

Wayne Swart wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have a freebsd 4.7 box that keeps disconnecting for no reason. It simply
> just disconnects from the internet and if i do a ifconfig dc0 down and
> then ifconfig dc0 up, it comes back up again

You know, I saw this once a few years ago.  The problem was a crappy NIC
and the solution was to replace it.

> i have tried 3 different network cards. if i use a 10mbit card it doesn't
> happen, but on a 100mb card it lasts like 3 hours and then falls over

What about the third NIC?  It sounds like the 100mb card is problematic.

> i took a look at /var/log/messages but it shows nothing

Neither did I.  I think the problem was a hardware level that the kernel
wasn't able to detect.

> if anyone knows anything about this please let me know, i have to get it
> fixed, but i do not even know where to begin

If the 10mb card works, why not just use it?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies