Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:32:41 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Jim Riffle <rif@rif.hoosierlink.net>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mainboard recomendation needed

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Jim Riffle wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good Pentium mainboard which will
> cache 128 Megs of ram in 70 Pin SIMMS.  My hardware guy said
> they stopped making the ASUS board he knew of and found a FIC PA-2007
> which looks like it may do the job.  However this board uses the VIA VP2
> chipset and I am not sure how that has worked out.  I already have 4 64Meg
> simms, so I need to find some motherboards I can utilize this ram in.

If you look at www.tomshardware.com (or http://sysdoc.pair.com/), you'll
see a review of the FIC PA-2007 and the VIA VP2 chipset.  Good stuff!
As Mike Smith said, Tom's Hardware Guide is a PC hardware rev-head's
magazine, but it has interesting information.

There is also the Gigabyte GA586STX which is not an Intel TX board, but
uses an SiS chipset.  Not as fast as the PA-2007, but still good.

> On a second though, is it important to have all your memory cached on a
> FreeBSD system?  I have heard the primary impact is in other OSes where
> things are loaded at the upper end of the available ram first.

It's worth doing things properly.

Danny