Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 02:38:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Saxon <saxonww@ufl.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   x10 mouseremote difficulties

Hello,

I just purchased one of these with the intention of using it with fxtv. I
have the remote model JR20A and receiver model JR21A.

My computer setup is somewhat nonstandard, as I have two machines
connected to a KVM switch. I first tried plugging the mouse into the
mousermote receiver, then pluggint the receiver into the KVM. This works,
although it locks the windows machine up (go figure). Also, fxtv does not
capture the mouseremote events in this configuration, manipulation of the
buttons merely moves the mouse cursor around. I presume this is because
the KVM translates the mouse protocol into something 'standard' before
sending it on to the computer (the regular mouse wheel also doesnt work).

I have also tried to plug the cable from the kvm switch into the receiver,
and then plug the receiver into the computer's ps2 port. This should work,
however it does not.

My final idea was to simply configure a serial port and have the
mouseremote receiver plug into that, while maintaining my normal PS2 mouse
setup. This also does not work, as the receiver unit does not appear to
even get events.

Has anyone used this unit without a mouse plugged into it, maybe with a
system that already has another mouse? I have a bad feeling that I may
just be out of luck. It is ok, I can use the remote with some of my other
electronics and x10 equipment.

Incidentally, the reason I purchased the mouse remote is because the
remote that came with my card (a phoebe 'tv master,' aka dynalink/askey
magic tview) is unsupported. What is necessary to implement support for
this remote? It uses an ir receptor that plugs into the card and
interfaces (i presume) with the GPIO on the bt878.

Thanks,

Will Saxon