Date:      Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:46:12 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Ranko Sredojevic <surija@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: directions

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 01:31:47PM -0500, Ranko Sredojevic wrote:
>   Hi all!
>=20
> Since I'm not sure where these should go, I'm putting them here, and
> someone might give me directions to another list if appropriate.
>=20
> Couple of questions now:
>=20
> (1) Octave build is finally over and I'm trying it out. It took around 16
> hours on athlon
> 3200+/1GB for the record.

A lot of that time is for the atlas library. If you already have that
installed, octave builds a lot faster.
=20
> SciLab won't build. It gives message that gcc3.?.? (I forgot the number) =
is
> needed
> and that this is unavailable for amd64. Any cure?

According to the port's Makefile, scilab doesn't work with GCC
3.3, and then asks for GCC 3.2, which doesn't seem to work on amd64.
Since 6.0 uses GCC 3.4, try removing the following lines from the
port's makefile, and see if it works:

# Scilab broken with GCC 3.3 on FreeBSD 5.3
=2Eif ${OSVERSION} >=3D 503000
USE_GCC=3D        3.2
=2Eendif

> (2) What are these. I did quick search on google and archives but couldn't
> locate
> more than a page in italian (which I, unfortunately, still don't understa=
nd)
> so I have
> to ask here:
<snip>
> Nov 25 21:48:47 svarga kernel: pid 64276 (xcfc), uid 0: exited on signal =
11
> (core dumped)

IIRC, they are test programs from the atlas build.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt