Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:58:21 +0000
From:      Richard Morte <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   [Fwd: Panic with Advansys ASC3050 SCSI Controller]

I think this is proving to be a subject that perhaps no-one is able to
help me with. I've tried posting this question before, leaving a decent
interval between postings, so I have given it a good innings. This will
be my last shot with this one.

If the only solution is to pull the card, can anyone recommend a
suitable SCSI card to replace it with? The card is used only to drive a
SCSI DAT tape for backups (Standard 50 pin D-type SCSI connector) so
speed is not important.

Ric

I have a 2nd FreeBSD box that I use for testing configurations before
applying them to the main server. The FreeBSD installation is the 2nd
(dedicated) disk; disk 1 is Windows 98.

I have just installed an  "Iwill 2930C SCSI Adapter" which seems to be a
clone of the Advansys ASC3050 SCSI card. On boot up I now get
configuration errors and a panic, followed by reboot.

The BIOS reports the following at boot-up:
Onboard USB Controller                        Slot 1 Ethernet, IRQ11
Slot 2 SCSI, IRQ10                            Onboard IDE, IRQ 14,15
AGP VGA, IRQ11

I have tried the following:

Reinstalled FreeBSD 3.2 in the 2nd drive (there's nothing of importance
on the drive, just the result of previous hacks...), but similar error
messages occur. Here they are:

adv0: <Advansys ASC3050 Ultra SCSI Controller> rev 0x03 on int a IRQ10
on pci0.9.0
adv0: Warning EEPROM checksum mismatch. Using default device parameters
adv0: WARNING! Failure writing to EEPROM.
adv0: Advansys Ultra SCSI Host Adapter, SCSI ID 7, queue depth 240
adv0 not found at 0x330 (this appears only if adv0 is NOT deselected in
visual config)

Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle down...
panic adv_qdone: completed scsiq with unknown status

Syncing disks...
Reboot....... etc

Irrespective of whether adv0 is deselected in the visual config, I
cannot get the reinstall to work. It seems the GENERIC kernel is
configured with both adv0 and adw0 by default.

The only thing I've spotted is that FreeBSD uses a different IRQ to that
reported by the BIOS; the visual config screen does not allow me to
change IRQs nor Port addresses for this device, just the flags.

I have checked through the mailing archives, but didn't find much except
that the Advansys cards have only more recently been supported (not so,
apparently in 1997). There was one mailing with a mention about CAM
devices (whatever these are) and some references to CAM devices in the
release notes to 3.2 - but in the section indicating that the Advansys
cards seem to be supported.

Anyone know what the problem is and how to get it configured?

Many thanks for your help.

Ric