Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 13:28:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@rpi.edu>
To:        nimrodm@email.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux NVIDIA drivers vs. default XFree86 drivers (WAS: RE: Video card support)

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Nimrod Mesika wrote:

> I thought the whole point of XFree4 new driver mechanism was that
> it was OS-neutral. It should be possible to run the same binary
> driver on all x86 platforms running XFree4 *without* recompiling.
>
> I don't know how this driver interacts with the kernel module,
> though. I'm not sure I even understand why a kernel module is
> needed in this case.

i believe it requires hooks into the kernel to make use of AGP, which is
necessary for high performance 3d rendering.

-garrett

| rooneg@rpi.edu                                        garrett rooney |
| http://www.rpi.edu/~rooneg                                 unix geek |
|  unrequited love is neat because it lasts so much longer - w. t. c.  |