Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:54:47 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's FTP Daemon

> >  Hello, I run a moderatly sized ISP and as an
> >  FTP daemon we use NcFTPD (www.ncftpd.com).
>
> I wouldn't, if I were you. I've never used ncftpd, but judging from
> ncftp, the author has absolutely no concept of how to properly
> implement the FTP protocol.

I totally disagree.  One of my 486DX2/66 boxes became a warez site over
a year ago (w/out my knowledge).  The load from all the FTPs taking place
on this small box was incredible.  100 clients made the box totally
dead.  I tried NcFTPd just for fun and found I could still get a login
and do things (admititly *very* slowly).  I've been using NcFTPd since
then, esp. to prevent downloads from /incoming, and have had zero
problems with it.  It is a very nice and configurable FTP daemon.

I have also been using NcFTP since version 1.0, and maintain both the 1.x
and 3.x ports.  I haven't used a stock FTP client for over ?7? years.  So
what do you see as the problem with the author's knowledge of the FTP
protocol??

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)