Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:10:06 +0800
From:      Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS SPS Perth <shocking@ugly.prth.tensor.pgs.com>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>, multimedia@freebsd.org, shocking@ugly.prth.tensor.pgs.com
Subject:   Re: DRI on XF86 4.0

> > Will FreeBSD need that DRI kernel support like linux does, or will the
> > DRI module be able to access what it needs? I have a g200 and would
> > like to be able to take advantage of it.
>
> Yes it will. I currently have DRI working for voodoo3 hardware but I
> intend to port the mga kernel driver for g200 and g400 support.

Sweet - are these changes back in the DRI CVS tree? If so, I think a Voodoo 3/4/5 might be in my future. How do Linux GL apps interact with the BSD DRI implementation?

I see that nVida have released their Linux binary drivers which are apparently as fast as or faster than their windows counterparts. There are supposedly some legal encumberances to be gotten rid of before they can fully open source them.

I've sent some patches to the Utah-GLX people to allow the use of NASM, so that people with AMD CPUs and FreeBSD can benefit from the 3dnow code in Mesa. Does anyone know when our binutils will be updated?

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California