Date:      Sat, 04 Nov 2000 14:49:48 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Rick Jansen <Rick@Tweakers.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2-BETA?

Rick Jansen wrote:

> I was cvsupping my source tree, expecting to install 4.1.1-STABLE, from
> 4.1.1-RELEASE. What's this BETA thing? Is it stable enough for a
> production-database box?

You are too close to the release of 4.2-Release for that to occur. If
you were following the right list for tracking -stable, you would have
known about the imminent release of 4.2.

There are changes. I have two machines that I am running at 4.2-Beta.
They seem to run as well as they did at 4.1.1-stable. I have a lot
more trouble trying to use KDE-2. I'm not going to uninstall KDE-2 to
get the features that didn't work on KDE-1 back and no hope of getting
them fixed.

I don't know how well 4.2-Beta will run for you; however, since you
have it built, it would be worth trying. There are changes in
/usr/src/UPDATING that have changed since 4.1.1-Release. You will have
to deal with them. That wouldn't have changed if you had cvsup'ed
4-stable a week ago or so. This way you won't be surprised with the
new features when 4.2-R comes out. You have ports that have to be
upgraded when changes are made such as lsof.

Kent

> Rick

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA