Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:31:59 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org, Ceri Davies <ceri@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: conf/21994: Config of Anonftp (at install) always creates 'incoming'

On Thursday 29 December 2005 06:20 pm, Ceri Davies wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR conf/21994; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>
> To: gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
> Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: conf/21994: Config of Anonftp (at install) always creates
> 'incoming' Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 23:19:44 +0000
>
>  On Sat, Oct 14, 2000 at 04:35:45PM -0400, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
>  > 	During the installation process, one has the option of enabling
>  > 	anonymous FTP.  I do want anonymous FTP, but I never want to
>  > 	create an 'incoming' (world writable) directory.  In the screen
>  > 	for "Anonymous FTP configuration", there is a field called
>  > 	"Upload subdirectory" which defaults to "incoming".  I delete
>  > 	the word "incoming", leaving a null field.  This seems like a
>  > 	logical way to say that I don't want ANY upload directory.
>  > 	However, the install process still creates ~ftp/incoming, and
>  > 	makes it world-writable.
>
>  This is still a problem, despite the help text on this screen
>  suggesting that leaving the field blank is ok.\
>
>  Where do you suggest that the FTP user's home directory is set to
>  instead?  /var/empty perhaps?

You don't need to change that directory.  That home directory still needs t=
o=20
exist and is where anon ftp files go.  It just needs to not create the=20
world-writable incoming directory if that field is blank.

=2D-=20
John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> =A0<>< =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/
"Power Users Use the Power to Serve" =A0=3D =A0http://www.FreeBSD.org