Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:50:34 -0500
From:      Daren Desjardins <desjardins@canada.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH issues with 4.9 stable (key_verify failed for server_host_key)

Sigh...

Thought I had it figured out but it wasnt. A friend also did an 4.9
release to 4.9stable upgrade and ran into the exact same problem. I
spent time comparing the ssh -v output for the ssh(3.5) that is in the
base, with the openssh(3.6) in the packages, and the newest ssh from
openssh (3.8).

The main thing I noticed is that the openssh in the base is the only one
not working. Further, the OpenSSL version reported differs and that the
base system seems to force a DSA host key authentication, whereas the
port and openssh release use RSA (As seen in the included dumps).

The machine is using a default(empty) ssh_config and sshd_config.

I went through pretty much every google(web/groups) article I could find
with no success. Even the ones that suggested turning off compiler
optimizations...

(Base ssh)
OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030924, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL
0x0090703f

debug1: Host 'x.x' is known and matches the DSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:8
debug1: bits set: 1602/3191
debug1: ssh_dss_verify: signature incorrect    (Notice dss here)
key_verify failed for server_host_key
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x804c158(0x0)

(Openssh release 3.8p1)
OpenSSH_3.8p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.7c-p1 30 Sep 2003

debug1: Host 'daren.ca' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:9
debug1: ssh_rsa_verify: signature correct      (Notice rsa here)
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
Password: