Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2019 14:37:25 -0800
From:      Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org>
To:        "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Killing RANDOM_LOADABLE?

Hi Simon,

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 14:19 Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net> wrote:

> Conrad Meyer <cem@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > If you use / need RANDOM_LOADABLE, can you provide some information on
> > your use case and needs?  If RANDOM_LOADABLE support was dropped in
>
> We use it in all our kernels. For FIPS 140-? certification we need to
> load *only* an approved  PRNG.  We don't particularly like that and nor
> do some of our customers - so some 4th does runtime selection of rng
> module during boot.

I appreciate the quick feedback, thanks.  The algorithm/ internals aren=E2=
=80=99t
too important for me; I=E2=80=99m interested in what your minimal api needs=
 from
FreeBSD are.

It sounds like you select the random module to load in loader(8) =E2=80=94 =
you
don=E2=80=99t need userspace / runtime loading (kldload). Is that understan=
ding
correct?

Would it be possible to answer the other questions from the initial email,
too? If random loadable support was removed upstream, are you unable to
address your needs in the junos tree? Why?

Thanks,
Conrad